Duolingo English Test
Duolingo is an application that was launched in 2012 with the mission of creating learning easier the appliance helps people learn a bunch of foreign languages through a special methodology and also adapts the lesson consistent with the user’s end term goal or purpose. In 2014, Duolingo launched a web English proficiency exam so as to return out as an alternate for other English proficiency exams like IELTS/TOEFL. This blog covers all the Duolingo accepted universities across the United Kingdom, USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, Europe, and New Zealand.
About Duolingo Exam
Just like other proficiency exams, Duolingo assesses candidates on four criteria which are reading, writing, listening and speaking. Since then a number of the schools have started accepting Duolingo English proficiency exam scores but not all of them. But, with the pandemic disrupting the entire world and everything shifting towards digital means, many universities started trying to find alternatives to the normal English proficiency tests. IELTS and TOEFL couldn’t be conducted thanks to the test centres being closed. So, at this point the amount of educational institutions accepting Duolingo scores is growing exponentially.
The cost of the test is $49 (INR 3605 approximately) and takes about 45-60 minutes. so as to require the test, candidates got to have a passport, driver’s license or a government ID proof able to identify on camera. a person with a camera, microphone, speakers, and reliable internet can take the test from the comfort of their home.
Benefits of Duolingo English Test
There are various benefits of taking the Duolingo test. we’ve listed them below for your reference.
- Accessibility – the most important advantage of the Duolingo English Test is that it are often taken from the comfort of our home which could not be a plus earlier but with the pandemic entering our lives, Duolingo became the foremost feasible option at this point to conduct English proficiency tests. Although IELTS also recently launched its online test named IELTS Indicator but by this point Duolingo has already taken an enormous share within the market and has become one among the simplest options for college kids also as schools.
- Affordability – While other English proficiency exams cost around $200 (INR 14,717 approximately) or above, Duolingo costs just $49 (INR 3,605 approximately). This comes as a serious relief to students trying to review abroad as they need to face many expenses and anything which will cut those expenses right down to even a touch bit makes tons of difference for them.
- Faster Results – This test provides the result within 24-48 hours as compared to IELTS/TOEFL which takes about 4-5 days to announce the result. The results provided by Duolingo are much faster as compared to other english proficiency exams.
- Time Duration – The duration of the test is 45-60 minutes as compared to IELTS which is 2 hour and 45 minutes. So, the time commitment is far lower as compared to other traditional tests.
- Flexibility – Flexibility is yet one more factor that differentiates this English test from the opposite ones. A Duolingo test is often taken anywhere, anytime and you only need a reliable internet connection.
- Mock Tests – This test also offers the choice of attempting multiple mock tests before taking the particular test which provides students all the relevant knowledge regarding the ultimate test.
Duolingo Exam Pattern
The test offered by Duolingo is an adaptive test which suggests that the test keeps on getting harder with more right answers and the other way around.
The test measures different aspects of English language through –
- Completing missing letters from section of a text
- Finding out real English words from the fake ones
- Typing the statement which the candidates hear
- Describing a picture
After this, the candidates are required to require a video interview wherein they will speak on anybody of the 2 topics and therefore the same process happens with writing also. The score comes on a scale of 10-160 within 2 days of completion of the exam. Aside from all this, even schools accepting Duolingo score enjoy a way larger applicant pool, providing them with a comprehensive approach to seem at the scholars by watching their video interviews, written samples and their score.
How is DET different from IELTS or TOEFL?
Let us understand the differences between DET and other traditional testing systems,
- one among the simplest benefits of DET over IELTS or TOEFL is that you simply don’t got to visit the testing centre’s; instead, you’ll appear at your range in a quiet, well-lit room with an honest internet connection.
- Cost for DET is nearly 1/4th of that you simply buy the opposite traditional tests. It costs only 49 dollars (3720 INR) against 180-200 dollars (14000-15500 INR) for IELTS and TOEFL.
- it’s a really short duration test of just 45-60 minutes whereas IELTS and TOEFL take around 2-3 hours. within the case of IELTS, it’s given within the period of two days.
- You’ll get your test results within 48 hours of giving DET whereas in IELTS and TOEFL it takes around 10-20 days for test results.
- Before appearing for the most DET you’ve got the power of appearing for multiple mock tests to urge a particular idea of the testing system which isn’t available just in case of IELTS or TOEFL.
What are the contents of DET?
Duolingo English Test is split into 3 sections with different duration slots:
- Quick Setup : within the first 05 minutes of the test you’ll be introduced to the DET and various rules and requirements.
- Adaptive Questions : For next 45 minutes, there’ll be sets of questions which can test your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills and skills which is that the main section as your grades are majorly hooked in to it. As we discussed earlier adaptive questioning are going to be done to check the proficiency on the idea of your ability.
- Video Interview : Last 10 minutes will contains a video of the answers given by you for the questions displayed on the screen. supported your test performance you’ll tend a subject on which you would like to write down for around 3-5 minutes.
How to use DET?
Follow the below-given steps to finish DET:
- Firstly open the link – https://englishtest.duolingo.com/applicants and make your account by clicking on check in .
- After that, you’ll check your skills by taking the practice test.
- Once you’re confident enough to seem for the most tests, make the payment for DET which is 49 Dollars by Credit or open-end credit.
- Before you begin the most tests, you would like to see your internet connection, check your computer’s microphone by recording short audio because headphones or earphones aren’t allowed. Check your webcam by taking your photo and also keep your passport and any of the government id proof ready with you.
- Once everything is proper, you would like to travel ahead and fill the private details as per your government ID and for verification photo of your ID are going to be clicked.
- After that, you’ll start your actual test by clicking on START and once you complete it you’ll have an choice to send the results on to the university or institute if you’ve got already applied before appearing for DET.
What is the DET scores requirement for Admissions?
Scoring in DET is different as compared to other testing systems as they provide an overall score for the entire test and not the separate score for every module as that of IELTS.
Different score levels justify the various levels of English proficiency of the scholars.
- Score 10-55 : Can understand very Basic English words, phrases, straightforward information and express themselves in familiar contexts.
- Score 60-85 : Can understand the most points of concrete speech or writing on routine matters like work and faculty and may describe experiences, ambitions, opinions, and plans, although with some awkwardness or hesitation.
- Score 90-115 : Can fulfill most communication goals, even on unfamiliar topics, understand the most ideas of both concrete and abstract writing and interact with proficient speakers fairly easily.
- Score 120-160 : Can understand a spread of demanding written and speech including some specialized language use situations, can grasp implicit, figurative, pragmatic, and idiomatic language and may use language flexibly and effectively for many social, academic, and professional purposes.