Career Opportunities in Pharmacy
The Future of Pharmacy
In the coming decades, pharmacists are expected to become more integral within the health care system. Rather than simply dispensing medication, pharmacists are increasingly expected to be compensated for their patient care skills.
In particular, Medication Therapy Management (MTM) includes the clinical services that pharmacists can provide for their patients. Such services include the thorough analysis of all medication (prescription, non-prescription, and herbals) currently being taken by an individual. The result is a reconciliation of medication and patient education resulting in increased patient health outcomes and decreased costs to the health care system. This shift has already commenced in some countries; for instance, pharmacists in Australia receive remuneration from the Australian Government for conducting comprehensive Home Medicines Reviews. In Canada, pharmacists in certain provinces have limited prescribing rights (as in Alberta and British Columbia) or are remunerated by their provincial government for expanded services such as medications reviews (Medschecks in Ontario). In the United Kingdom, pharmacists who undertake additional training are obtaining prescribing rights and this is because of pharmacy education. They are also being paid for by the government for medicine use reviews. In Scotland the pharmacist can write prescriptions for Scottish registered patients of their regular medications, for the majority of drugs, except for controlled drugs, when the patient is unable to see their doctor, as could happen if they are away from home or the doctor is unavailable. In the United States, pharmaceutical care or clinical pharmacy has had an evolving influence on the practice of pharmacy. Moreover, the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) degree is now required before entering practice and some pharmacists now complete one or two years of residency or fellowship training following graduation. In addition, consultant pharmacists, who traditionally operated primarily in nursing homes are now expanding into direct consultation with patients, under the banner of “senior care pharmacy.”
Future of Job Opportunities For Pharmacy Graduates:
Golden opportunities galore for qualified Pharmacy professionals in various countries. There are plenty of higher education and research opportunities in the developed western countries along with excellent job openings. The monetary job benefits abroad are highly exciting.
There are so many job opportunities in Pharmacovigilance, clinical research, Pharm/Medical coding, Medical Billing, Medical Insurance (Pharmacy IT), SAS, Medical Transcription.
With respect to job opportunities for Pharmacy grads in specific areas, once you attain the degree you can choose to work in an industry pertaining to your field or a research laboratory or can also go for teaching. But if you have a passion to work in a drug store (a pharmacy), and therefore, willing to pursue pharmacy career in USA, then you must obtain a license to practice. For this, a pharmacy graduate will be initially required to pass the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE) as part of FPGEC certification process. In order for a foreign graduate to pursue this examination, the applicant should possess a minimum of 5-year pharmacy degree from any accredited university. The examination is conducted twice a year at the respective Pearson VUE test sites throughout the USA and is being accepted by all the 50 statesofUSA.
The pharmacy profession is highly demanding and rewarding profession for many years in USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, UK and all other first world countries. Pharmacist is the most important and positive contributing member of the health care system of any particular country. Health care sector is very important part of any particular country; in addition, developed countries give extra important to Health care sector and health care professionals. Thus, Pharmacist is an important and valuable member of health care system in Canada, USA, Aus, NZ, and UK etc.
The demand is continuously growing because of following reasons
- More than 47% of currently working Pharmacist are above age of 45 years
- Old age population is dramatically increase in developed countries due to long life expectance
- Increasing the rate and onset of chronic disease at early age
- Continually, increasing the responsibilities of pharmacist thus new era of pharmacy profession has evolved
- Registered Pharmacist
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Consultant Pharmacist
- Disease management Pharmacist
- MMR Pharmacist
- Nuclear Pharmacist
- Geriatric Pharmacist
- Industrial Pharmacist
- Prescribing Pharmacist
Pharmacist shortages are projected to increase over the next 20 years. Only strategic option to meet this shortage of Pharmacist can be achieved by offering Immigration to International pharmacist.
Pharmacists with specialized education and training become more versatile within the health care system to attain optimal health outcomes for patients through proper medication use.
These kind of intervention evolved new avenues of opportunities for pharmacist in developed countries. For Example
In Australia, Pharmacist receives wage from the Australian Government for conducting comprehensive Home Medicines Reviews.
In Canada, Pharmacists in certain provinces have prescribing rights (as in Alberta and British Columbia) or are salaried by their provincial government for expanded services such as medications reviews (Meds checks in Ontario).
In United Kingdom, Pharmacists who undertake additional training are obtaining prescribing rights. They are also being paid by the government for medicine use reviews.
In United States, Pharmaceutical care or clinical pharmacy has had an evolving influence on the practice of pharmacy.
In Scotland, Pharmacist can write prescriptions for Scottish registered patients of their regular medications, for the majority of drugs, except for Controlled drugs.
Thus, employment potential as a Pharmacist is very high in Canada, USA, AUS, NZ, and UK
To grab all this opportunities International Students must have to get “licence to practise as a pharmacist” In any particular country. In order to get Pharmacist licence, candidate must have to pass few steps.
Pharmacy Profession is regulated in all developed countries like USA, Canada, AUS, NZ and UK to practice as a Pharmacist.
Most important point, if any one wants to work as a Pharmacist they must have to get Pharmacist license from Pharmacy board of the respective country.
Article Written By
Dr. Mohan Maruga Raja, M. Pharm, Phd
Principal, Hillside College of Pharmacy
Other Articles by the Author
Hypoglycemic activity of Nymphaea stellata leaves ethanolic extract in alloxan induced diabetic rats
THE DILEMMA OF ‘SCIENTIFIC REASONING’
– A PHARMACEUTICAL PERSPECTIVE
- In these days of totally urbanized atmosphere, the Krupanidhi College Campus is like a breath of fresh air set amidst landscaped gardens and with a highly surcharged interactive atmosphere between students, faculties and mentors. The unified diversity element in Krupanidhi College of Pharamcy among student projects the integrated spectrum of…
- The Oxford College of Pharmacy 1st Phase, J.P. Nagar, C.A. Site No.40, Bangalore – 560 078 Contact No: 080 - 3021 9821 / 31 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.theoxford.edu/pharmacy T. John College of Pharmacy Kammanahalli, Gottigere Post, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore 560 083 Tel: +91 80 28429624, 28429625, 40250555 FAX: +91…
- About College Dayananda Sagar College of Pharmacy (DSCP) was established in the year 1991 to offer graduation course in Pharmacy followed by post graduation in the year 2006-07 comprising 4 specializations. Pharm D course was added in the year 2012-13 to motivate clinical research activities in the field of pharmacy.…
- About College T. John college of Pharmacy offers the four year B.Pharmacy course with an intake of 100 seats. It is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, approved by All India Council for Technical Education, and recognized by the Pharmacy council of India, New Delhi. Courses Offered Doctor…