Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian medical system. It dates back to 3000 BC. This is developed by ancient sages. They preach the philosophy of life. The Atharvaveda contains the principles of healing on which Ayurveda is based. ‘Ayur’ means ‘life’ in Sanskrit. Ayurveda is the most ancient science of healing which enhances longevity. It has influenced many of the older traditional methods of healing including Tibetan, Chinese and Greek medicine. Hence, Ayurveda is considered by many as the ‘mother of healing.’
According to Ayurvedic theory, everything in the universe — living or not — is connected. Good health is achieved when your mind, body, and spirit are in harmony with the universe. A disruption of this harmony can lead to poor health and sickness. For followers of Ayurveda, anything that affects your physical, spiritual, or emotional well-being can cause you to be out of balance with the universe.
As WHO has accepted Ayurvda as an alternative medicine, one can do course and practice Ayurveda medicine. BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery) is a 5 1/2 years bachelor degree offered by a university and approved by CCIM (Central Council of Indian Medicine) and Department of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani and Homeopathy). BAMS is designed for 5 1/2 years in this 4 1/2 years classroom training along with practical in ayurveda hospitals and 1 year fulltime internship.
Scope of Ayurveda
Ayurveda is a complete or holistic system that integrates the mind, body and spirit. For a few centuries, the tradition of Ayurveda was dimmed due to the natural and human calamities and also by the invasion of foreign cultures into India. The sacred texts were either destroyed or stolen. However there were many Vaidyas or doctors in India who managed to preserve some of the knowledge available in these Holy Scriptures. Divine plants that sustain long life and good health are now being rediscovered. Many renowned families of Vaidyas, who are specialized in certain branches of Ayurveda, have started functioning again in India. Today there is a revival of the ancient culture and traditions inherent to Ayurveda, which is a true gift of the ancient civilization to the modern world.
Branches of Ayurveda for Further Studies
- Kayachikitsa– Internal Medicine
- Shalakya Tantra – Ears, Nose, and Throat
- Vishagaravairodh Tantra Toxicology
- Kaumarabhritya Pediatrics
- Shalya Tantra Surgery
- Bhuta Vidya – Psychiatry
- Vajikarana Aphrodisiacs
- Rasayana Rejuvenation
A BAMS graduate can do masters in any of the above said branches in any CCIM approved ayurvedic medical college.
Career Opportunity in Ayurveda
As ayurveda is an accepted alternative medicine by WHO, there is a huge demand for ayurvedic doctors worldwide. As ayurveda is rooted in treating patient rather than disease, people from all over the world look forward ayurveda for its healing power where allopathic medicine fail to deliver.
- BAMS Doctor can practice ayurvedic medicine his/her own.
- BAMS Doctor can set up an ayurveda clinic
- A person who has completed BAMS can join any ayurveda hospital. There is dearth of qualified ayurveda doctors in India.
- A BAMS completed graduate can do masters (MS) in any ayurvedic academic branch
- Sri Adichunchanagiri Shikshana Trust under the stewardship of His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Sri Sri Balagangadharanatha Swamiji, the present and 71st Pontiff of Sri Adichunchanagiri Mutt. Sir Math plays an important role in society and in the field of Education, Health Care, Spiritual Activities, Social Activities, Moral & Cultural Activities and…
- About Us Sushrutha Ayurveda Medical College Commenced in the year 2003. College is spread over a 100 acre campus. College is approved by CCIM, Ayush and Goverment of India. ABOUT BAMS BAMS – Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery is course on Indian medicinal system – Ayurveda. BAMS is a…
- Alva’s Ayurveda Medical College is located in Moodabidr, South Canara. College was established in 1996 by Alva’s Education Foundation. The institution is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health sciences (RGUHS), Karnataka, Bangalore and approved by Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM), New Delhi. College is offering both Bachelors and…
- Atreya Ayurvedic Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka Atreya Ayurvedic Medical College is a multi-faceted educational movement engaged in various service initiatives. This institution operates from the historical town of Karnataka, Doddaballapur having safe and easy access to the city of Bengalooru connecting to various other interstate highways with convenient transportation system.…